Offers products packages and units - an overview
This article presents a brief overview of the concepts of offers, packages, products and units. It is strongly recommended the reader also refer to more detailed articles relating to each of these items.
A product can be considered to be any object that is offered to a customer - be they products that are produced by the Timestone Software applications or not. Products are are also assigned various attributes such as a code (eg Pak1), the product type and the template key if appropriate
Products may optionally be broken down into units and the unit composition of a product entered into tsAdministrator. It is anticipated unit definitions will most likely be used by labs and photographers who bill/are billed by units.
A package is one or more products. All ordering in Version 4 (with the exception of simple point and click) is via a package. Order barcodes and ordering with a text file point to packages not products
An offer is composed of one or more packages. It is useful to think of an offer as an order sheet from which customers choose what they wish to order. "Here are the products I offer you". An offer is assigned to a job when the job is created but may be subsequently changed at any point.
Pricing information may optionally be entered at either the unit, product or package level. It is possible to enter pricing at more than one level. A photographer who prints his own work may only enter the selling price of each package in an offer whereas a photographer using an external lab who charges by unit may also enter the buying price per unit.
Putting it all together - a simple example
Products, units, packages and offers are all defined in tsAdministrator. The following is a simple, quick start guide to defining a new offer with packages and products. In this example we will not use units and pricing will be entered for packages.
- Enter some products
- Select the products object in tsAdministrator
- Enter some products. It is only necessary to enter a product once even if it is to be used in several packages and offer
- Click Submit changes to enter the products into the database
- Create an offer
- Select the Offers/Packages object in tsAdministrator.
- Create a new Offer for a given Season and/or Account (select * for each if the Offer will apply to all seasons and accounts
- Select the newly created offer and add one or more packages to it.
- Select each package and add one or more products to it.
- Select the Pricing tab and enter a base price for each package
- Click Submit changes to enter the offer into the database
- Start a new job with this offer
- Start one of the Version 4 programs and select File>New.
- Enter a name for the job
- In the New Job window select the season, account and worlspace
- Select the newly created offer
- Click OK to create the job with this offer
End of article