Subject Barcodes on Order Header

Brandon - District Photo

07 Oct, 2014 11:31 AM

I'm trying to put a barcode on an order header encoded with the subject key, is this something that's possible? We have an address entry/shipping system that connects directly to the subject key and we use barcodes for easy logging out. I do understand the reasoning behind order headers and item strips, but the solution doesn't seem practical for my workflow. For us it doesn't matter if the customer orders multiple packages for multiple subjects, as long as the order is going to a single address we can tie the address to any of the subject keys. I know I can accomplish the barcode with item sheets, but I really don't want to print an extra slip for each package ordered. I've been able to print individual subject keys based on the KB article, but not luck with the barcode.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dino Apolito on 08 Oct, 2014 03:03 AM

OK, since you understand the reasoning behind order headers (they belong to orders not subjects) and are able to print subject keys in a list format as described alsewhere I won't repeat all that.

Theoretically if we can print subject keys we should be able to print barcodes - it's just not a feature that has been implemented. But therein lies the answer as well for now. Why not use a text box with a barcode font?

That should work.

2. 2 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 08 Oct, 2014 01:59 PM

Great idea about the font. I never knew that was even possible.

So it took quite a lot of tooling and trial and error to get to where I want, but I was able to get a subject barcode on the order header. It's not very elegant at all, mainly when there are multiple packages in an order, it gives me multiple barcodes as well and the formatting gets really bizarre, but after a few tricks I got it to look pretty decent.

In it's current form, I'm not sure how you could handle this differently. And I don't know how much demand there is for a change to how headers work. We always seem to be a special case with everything. :)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 29 Oct, 2014 03:02 PM

+1 on support for the barcode

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 29 Oct, 2014 03:03 PM

....QR specifically...

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac