A connection with the server could not be established

Jacob - Sumner Photography

26 Nov, 2012 07:17 PM

We leave Fulfill running on a server 24/7 so that our TsPortal information will sync with our online orders. Being that we use TsPortal for customer service its nice to have the information up to date when people call, and leaving Fulfill open works well enough.

However, after a few days of running it throws an error dialogue saying the "connection with server has been reset" and refuses to load new online orders into the database until the error has been cleared (by clicking OK).

I've been logging into that server everyday to make sure things are working and clearing that error when it comes up, but if there were something that could be done to make this more of a "set it and forget it" solution, that would be awesome.

[The version of TSios/Fulfill is the current beta, and The server is running Windows Server 2008R2 and is up to date.]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dino Apolito on 27 Nov, 2012 12:40 AM

Jacob, I think the server in question here is the web server. I've asked Richard to have a read also.

2. 2 Posted by Richard Browne on 06 Dec, 2012 12:40 AM

Hi Jacob, can you take a screenshot of the error message for me please? I need to determine if it's an error coming from the web server, or from your local MySQL server. Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 10 Dec, 2012 09:40 PM

Hi Richard,
    Interestingly enough, I haven't had the error come up in about a week now. The dialogue box wasn't particularly descriptive on which server the connection was lost from. I suppose I assumed it was to the webserver. The only thing I can think of is that we're printing quite a few orders on a daily basis now, because we use it to process late orders. The copy of Fulfill running on the server is still just sitting there open while we're using another copy to rip the orders on a different machine, but its still probably worth noting.

4. 4 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 04 Mar, 2013 06:04 PM

I've been getting this error again for the past week or so, I'm assuming it's because we're actively taking orders online again, this time I've attached a screen shot of it.

5. 5 Posted by Richard Browne on 05 Mar, 2013 11:20 PM

Hi Jacob, I'm pretty sure this error means Fulfill is having trouble talking to the web server. What kind of internet connection do you have? Does it sometimes go offline, or get really busy?

I will have to think about how we can handle this situation. We can't just ignore the error. In case the communication with the server stops working, we need to warn you somehow.

6. 6 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 05 Mar, 2013 11:37 PM

We have relatively fast cable internet that runs around 20mb/s download. It can be somewhat busy, but I've never had trouble with it other than a little slowdown here and there.
    My problem isn't so much the error, it's that fulfill stops downloading orders and our customer service people don't have updated information when they use tsportal. My idea is if that dialogue box could auto-clear/retry on a set interval then I don't imagine it would be a problem if the internet connection went down for a minute. As long as the orders keep flowing in, my issues are solved.

7. 7 Posted by Richard Browne on 06 Mar, 2013 01:54 PM

Understood Jacob. I am working on an update to that will display a non-blocking error message. Fulfill will keep trying every minute to refresh online orders, when there is an error communicating with the server.

8. 8 Posted by Richard Browne on 07 Mar, 2013 01:51 PM

Hi Jacob

I have a new Fulfill which will not block if an error occurs refreshing orders. Do you want to test it for me?

It will display a message like the following when an error occurs. It keeps retrying every minute and the message will go away when can successfully contact the server again.

Download it from here:

http://www.timestonesoftware.com/bin/private/Fulfill4.2.130307.zip

9. 9 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 07 Mar, 2013 05:59 PM

Hi Richard,

I've downloaded/installed that version of fulfill, and sofar so good. I'll keep you posted.

10. 10 Posted by Richard Browne on 19 Mar, 2013 10:53 PM

Hi Jacob, just checking in with you to see how the new Fulfill is going. Everything working ok now?

11. 11 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 19 Mar, 2013 11:04 PM

Hi Richard, Yes, the new fulfill has been running with 0 issues since I installed it, no memory leaks, crashes or the lot. I actually haven't had to think about it much at all recently.

12. 12 Posted by Richard Browne on 20 Mar, 2013 08:07 AM

Thanks Jacob. The fix will be included in the next installer. In the meantime you can continue using that .exe.

13. Richard Browne closed this discussion on 20 Mar, 2013 08:07 AM.

14. Jacob - Sumner Photography re-opened this discussion on 24 May, 2013 11:15 PM

15. 13 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 24 May, 2013 11:15 PM

Hey Richard,

It seems that the newest version of Fulfill (4.2.13.04.12) has a slow memory leak. Its using ~8mb when first started and after a week of running is consuming ~3000mb.
    When this gets to 4000mb it throws an out of memory error and refuses to download new orders until it is closed and reopened.

Obviously it's out of address space being a 32bit application, so the server doesn't actually run out of memory and crash.

Attached are the before and after shots of the leak happening. I haven't let it error out yet, I can if you need to see the error for some reason, but in the meantime I'm keeping an eye on it and restarting fulfill every few days.

16. 14 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 29 May, 2013 11:44 PM

Here's a Screenshot of the actual error itself.
    Interestingly enough, it took almost exactly 5 days before it had consumed enough memory to throw the error.

17. 15 Posted by Richard Browne on 30 Jul, 2013 01:48 PM

Hi Jacob, we've released an updated Fulfill with some bug fixes. I am not 100% sure if this memory leak has been fixed. If you can, please download and install the update and we'll see if it's fixed.

http://www.timestone.com.au/bin/InstallCompositeBuilder(v4_2_130728...

18. 16 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 12 Aug, 2013 08:08 PM

Hi Richard,
    Tentatively the memory leak seems to have gone away. We're not running much through it currently, so I wouldn't expect an issue either way. The leak seems to be tied to when fulfill has been downloading orders often, so when that picks up a bit I'll let you know if anything changes.

19. 17 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 04 Sep, 2013 12:14 AM

We've gotten our first school uploaded and are currently taking orders and downloading them with fulfill, and it appears my suspicions were correct as we're back to leaking memory at the same rate as before.
    It's definitely related to actually having orders coming into the system, but you'll notice that the error is a little different this time around.

20. 18 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 30 Sep, 2013 09:57 PM

Any updates on this? I've been restarting Fulfill about every other day, any longer than that and the memory leak kills it.
    To add a little information, it appears to actually be leaking the memory while downloading (refreshing) orders. I can manually refresh the orders and watch it suck up ram and not give it back.

21. 19 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 07 Oct, 2013 05:14 PM

UPDATE:
    I've found a workaround. I used a test job that will not have online orders coming in and used fulfil's filter "specific" to show only orders from that job. It's still downloading orders into our database like normal, and It's not leaking memory like a sieve.

22. Jacob - Sumner Photography closed this discussion on 07 Oct, 2013 05:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac