Upload times

rickm

25 Jul, 2016 06:22 PM

So far, we've only used IOS on a test basis but plan to use it much more extensively this season and I have a concern:
When images upload to IOS, does the entire image upload or just a thumbnail? In other words, will images shot 3 or 4 times bigger take 3 or 4 times longer to upload? Our photographers are all impressed with their new cameras and think they should shoot everything as large as possible but I worry about upload times for IOS.
Anybody have any input?
Thanks,
Rick

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 26 Jul, 2016 02:05 PM

Hi Rick, Best way to go is to test full scale in your environment; having said that I don't think you should have a problem using IOS however you would like to. When using IOS I uploaded large jobs with plenty of extras without issue. There are a ton of variables... from images, graphics, templates, internet speed, computer, etc. so I can't really give you a images/job time frame quote. Also keep in mind, you have control over image sizes online... http://timestone.tenderapp.com/kb/internet-ordering-system-ios/ios-...

2. 2 Posted by rickm on 26 Jul, 2016 03:44 PM

Tommi- Thanks for the info. My real concern was, all other things being equal, will larger original files make for longer upload times. It looks from the KB article that it would not.
    I will test myself.

3. 3 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 27 Jul, 2016 02:06 AM

Larger original files take longer to process into the online thumbnail, but your internet connection is likely going to be the limiting factor here, and to an extent how fast the server can receive the images in the firstplace. We're getting around 1.5mb/s up to the server in LA (we're in san diego for reference). We usually let an upload get going and then time 20 or so images to get an average per image upload time, then it's [time per image] X [number of images] for a fairly conservative estimate.

Also for reference, our larger jobs are 5000 images, and while it takes awhile to upload it really isn't bad. That, and we're usually uploading at night or while we're working on other things. It's not something you need to babysit really.

4. 4 Posted by rickm on 27 Jul, 2016 01:40 PM

Jacob-
    Thanks for the info. If I'm understanding you correctly, the actual upload of the online thumbnail is not an issue with larger images but computer processing time could be.
    Our images usually run 5-7 MB ea. but they're talking about shooting more like 20 MB ea. Since we never print school pics bigger that 11x14, I'm of the opinion that the larger size is overkill. Besides the obvious issues with storage and backup, the longer processing times could be probematic.
    I'll have to run some comparison tests.
    Thanks again.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dino Apolito on 28 Jul, 2016 01:15 AM

Further to what's already been stated here I can confirm we most
    definitely do not upload the full size image. Sub-sampling takes place
    at the workstation where you're running tsIOS. (in fact we don't send
    jpg files at all - it's sent as binary data that is stored in the your
    web server SQL database. There are no loose files anywhere)

With this in mind a big consideration is also your local network.
    Presumably your images are stored on a file server somewhere that your
    workstation accesses. So the big jpegs need to retrieved from the
    server, to the workstation where they are subsequently sub-sampled
    before uploading. Obviously the bigger these files are the slower they
    will be to move over your network.

As Tommi mentioned there are many many factors that contribute to
    overall upload times.

6. 6 Posted by rickm on 28 Jul, 2016 01:08 PM

Dino- Thanks, that answers my question.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac