IOS background choices with comps and pub cds

rickm

20 Jun, 2016 08:00 PM

Hopefully this will be addressed at the training seminar but I thought I’d throw it out to see if anyone else has found a workaround.
When a greenscreen job is ordered online, it goes to the Queue with whatever background was selected online, but when it comes time to print composites or output pub cds, the software seems unable to know what background was chosen.
This is the main reason we haven’t put our greenscreen jobs online- the vast majority require comps and/or pub cds.
For paper orders we use the “set from field” option, populate the field with the default background and scan the background for each order at the same time we scan the packs.
For IOS orders I can’t see how we could get the online backgrounds chosen by the customer into the background field short of viewing each order in Queue and manually entering it into details for use with comps/pub cds. We shoot tens of thousands of kids in a season- that would never work.
The software knows what background was chosen- it just won't tell us.

Anyone have a workaround?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 21 Jun, 2016 12:55 PM

Hi Rick,

I just wanted to respond, and let you know that I'm thinking about this. I'm not completely familiar with your workflow, but we should discuss some options at the training.

In the mean time, if anyone currently addresses this type of situation please feel free to chime in!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dino Apolito on 21 Jun, 2016 01:31 PM

Hi Rick,

I just wanted to add a little also, so you understand what you're
    suggesting can't work.

When you order online you're ordering an image, a background then a
    product. Eg Image 1, background 4, Package A. But what's to stop you
    then ordering Image 3, background 2 and Package B? And so on. It's very
    possible to order multiple products with multiple images and backgrounds
    in the same order. It can't know which of these backgrounds is the one
    to be used for Image exports, composites and the like. Basically, the
    image selected and the background selected apply to the products
    selected /and nothing else./

At the seminar we will be showing the new ability to optional select a
    yearbook image or primary image for example. At that point we can start
    looking at a default background as well but not yet.

Maybe some other users have a similar workflow and it's worth asking
    other users when you're there.

Cheers

Dino

3. 3 Posted by rickm on 22 Jun, 2016 07:27 PM

Dino & Tommi- thanks for the replies. I've found through testing that when ordering composites in a greenscreen IOS job, the background ordered is not reflected in the composite, either- the "live rendering" image of the comp online shows all blank backgrounds and when the order is downloaded and printed from Neocomp, the backgrounds are blank as well.
    I was hoping that, like regular packages, the comps, as part of the order, would reflect the background chosen, but alas, it seems not.
    I can't be the only one who wants to put greenscreen jobs online and offer comps as well.
    P.S.- I won't be at the seminar but my co-worker Meghan will, so I'm bringing her up to speed on all the stuff I want her to find out!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac