Ignore specific text

Seth

02 Jun, 2014 01:39 AM

Is it possible to to have the software ignore specific text that is put into a field or folder name? For example. each folder is created for a specific team of class. The folder would be labeled with a team name or sponsor with the age group added to it to distinguish between several folders which might have the same name. Is there a way that only a certain part will be printed on a template with the @folder code being used? Ex If a company sponsors a team., their name would be used. Lets say McDonalds. In the folder name we would label it McDonalds U10. How can we ignore the U10 part?

Thanks,

1. 1 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 02 Jun, 2014 08:23 PM

You should use a subject field for this.

When you import your roster, you should setup an additional field with the data you're trying to pull, in this case 'U10' or whatever, and import it into a field called "AgeGroup".
    Then on your templates, instead of calling @folder, you would call @agegroup instead.

If you've already imported your roster, you can create the fields (from details mode edit->fields->add) and assign a value to a folders worth of subjects with the 'populate field' tool (make sure to use the "for selected folder only" checkbox).

This is very useful for when the @folder field isn't flexible enough, with the idea being that a subject field value doesn't have to be unique to that subject.

2. 2 Posted by Seth on 03 Jun, 2014 12:11 AM

Thanks Jacob,

I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately, where we are we don't get a roster list of all the teams before hand. We actually import the images into Timestone, then input the data from the orders.

As we put a team in a folder is created with the team name (IE McDonalds) Then all the subjects are placed into that folder once the team or group is inputed. The folder name usually includes the team name and the division or age group. The team name goes on items such as Trading Cards and sponsor pictures. So, once all the team pictures are matched to the folders the folder is renamed with out the age group.

I am sure there is an easier way!!!

3. 3 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 05 Jun, 2014 09:37 PM

Hey Seth,

I think I get what you're trying to do.
    In my mind, you're still better off entering this information as a subject field. You're already entering the other subject details from the orders, so adding a couple fields for age group and team name seems pretty simple.

Alternatively, when we do team pictures we're using folder graphic fields to pull the images and folder data fields to fill the data into the team picture template. This is to avoid changing folder names altogether. I'm thinking this approach could work for you using folder or subject fields.

Full disclosure though, I don't know immediately if either of those are going to be faster than what you're already doing, but I do think they're much more flexible in the long run.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Dino Apolito on 08 Jun, 2014 02:17 PM

What about Populate Field and populate the subject field one folder at a time with the required text?

5. 5 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 16 Jun, 2014 03:48 PM

I would use a Folder Field. Edit > Fields > Folder Fields and add a new field called Team. So now inside of your McDonalds U10 folder you should see a Team field where you would label that McDonalds. Do this for every one of your teams and change your template to @team instead of @folder and it should get the result you want.

Alternatively, you can use a subject field, but I find this to be quicker and easier to make changes on the fly if you spell something wrong.

6. 6 Posted by mjhilson on 06 Jul, 2014 05:00 AM

This is how we've been handling this situation for a number of years.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac