PowerSchool Export

Tommi Jonasson

06 Nov, 2013 05:41 PM

Anybody have any issues with schools not being able to use this export? I've used it for 5 years and not heard boo, but all of a sudden one school district seems to say that Lifetouch Powerschool cds work fine, but theses are unuseable.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 08 Nov, 2013 07:39 PM

Here is what I have found out, from various sources, but not directly from Pearson.

The data file should be TAB delimited, not comma.

The only two fields in the data should be ID, and ID.JPG

The photos (not folder) should be zipped, and the data file should be loose on the cd outside of the zip.

I also saw that they asked for 200x300 images, which is a little larger than the current export creates.

I figured this may help if anyone else has this problem with their school

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Dino Apolito on 09 Nov, 2013 05:26 AM

So is this official?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 09 Nov, 2013 07:24 AM

No, but it has merit. There are a few different PowerSchool made programs. I'd have to follow up with Pearson to get more details, which I can do in time.

4. 4 Posted by addedtouchphoto... on 20 Nov, 2013 08:33 PM

Those are the parameters we use also for our PowerSchool exports.

Last year Mark made us an export for it, which creates the text file as well as the images folder. We then manually remove the text file and zip the images (not the folder) and burn the text file and zip file on a CD. They have been explicit in their instructions of 200x300, as well that the only files on the CD are the zip file and the text file.

I have attached the file that Mark created for us last year.

5. 5 Posted by addedtouchphoto... on 20 Nov, 2013 08:54 PM

Here is the email sent to us by our PowerSchool High Schools.

Photography companies must provide the school with 2 files.

1. The first file is mapping file in csv file or tab delimited txt file format that contains a list of the students and their photograph’s file name.

Example of a csv file:

234567, 234567.jpg

223456, 223456.jpg

222345, 222345.jpg

Example of a tab delimited text file

234567 234567.jpg

223456 223456.jpg

222345 222345.jpg

2. The second file should be zip file that contains all of the photos in .jpg format.This file must be less than 100 Mb in size.
    3. If you have a large school the photographer should split the files and provide you with 2 csv files and 2 zip files.

The recommended photo size is 200 pixels wide by 300 pixels high

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 20 Nov, 2013 09:00 PM

That is exactly how I have my export setup. I tried to follow up with them, but getting to the right person is jumping through hoops, and I couldn't get a straight answer.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 20 Nov, 2013 09:03 PM

I think the schools we are dealing with are doing a "photo only" import designed to match on the SID. I think the current Timestone export is perhaps for a "all data with images" type import.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac