Scan barcode to copy one field to another

rickm

03 Dec, 2012 06:10 PM

I'm trying to devise a barcode that will copy the data from one field to another.
The students have the option of having their name printed on the wallets.
We have a field called "wallname," the contents of which will print on the wallets (if there's no entry in that field, the wallets print normally).
I'd like to have a barcode we could scan that would copy the contents of the "firstname" field into the "wallname" field (we currently have to do that by hand if they want personalized wallets).

I know I can enter a value in a field with /%Dfield%value
but can "value" be the contents of another field?

1. 1 Posted by Bill champion on 03 Dec, 2012 06:48 PM

There are better ways to achieve this than trying to populate a field based on another field. You can create an item design that is applied when scanning orders. OR If you must do it by a field then make the data being scanned simpy a marker like "1". Your template is made with a conditional format looking for the marker in wallname which tells it to place firstname.
    no marker = no name, If marker = firstname. This is just two quick suggestions there are other ways as well.

2. 2 Posted by rickm on 03 Dec, 2012 07:05 PM

Bill- 2 great ideas- thanks. I did come up with the item idea while I was out getting coffee but I hadn't thought about using a marker field.

3. 3 Posted by rickm on 03 Dec, 2012 09:15 PM

Upon further review.....
    I don't think either of those options will work.

If I add an item design it will apply to all the prints in a package, not just the wallets. Also, for spring we want to offer the option of sepia & B&W and I've set up item design templates to do that. It doesn't seem that you can use multiple items on the same package.

As for conditional text, there's an added complication I didn't mention initially- customers have the option of using a nickname rather than the full firstname (Bobby instead of Robert, for eg.).
    This adds another level: "marker" field contains data- use Nickname, If Nickname is empty, use firstname.
    "Marker" field does not contain data: do nothing. I haven't been able to figure out how to set up a conditional text string to do that.

4. 4 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 03 Dec, 2012 10:17 PM

You can stack conditional statements inside of one another.

{@marker|{@nickname|@nickname|@firstname} This should work for what you're doing.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac