Two suggestions: Tasks List and Order Tracker

Brandon - District Photo

25 Jul, 2014 01:42 PM

I've been trying to implement tasks in my workflow and I think if one change could be made it would really make the process smooth. In both the tasks list brief and detailed, it would be really helpful to have the ability to click on the task key to take us to the Task Detail layout. The task list is great to see what I still need to do, but I've found that I still have to go to tasks mode and manually search for the task in order to fill and complete it. A one-click on the key in the list would be perfect.

In regards to the order tracker, one of my visions for this feature is to use it as a log out tool. Say I have a job that gets shipped to the school, I want to setup a tsPortal station where my packagers scan each order envelope to close the order and put it in the mail out box, and then before it is ready to ship, myself or another operator will open the job in tsPortal and look for any orders still open so we can pack those and ship the job out. The problem is, there's not a really intuitive way to filter only by job and status. Right now, I have to run one of your predefined queries (all orders, paper orders, online orders, etc.) just to access the Order Status window, then I have to do a find where I either type in the job key or the job name, and finally I sort the order status field to see what is still opened. Granted, I know how to manually go to the Order Status layout from FMPs status menu, but I'd rather not force my operators to do that. I think if we had the option in the Order Tracker layout to filter by job and status, that would make this a perfect feature.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Dino Apolito on 27 Jul, 2014 11:30 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. They are good. Keep them coming!

Regarding the Task List action, unfortunately Filemaker doesn't have a way to assign a button to fields in a Table Layout - which is what the Task List is. From reading various forums this is a common request amongst Filemaker developers so maybe it will be added in the future.

There may be a workaround but it will be a two click process not a single click. You would need to select the task you want (select the row) then click a button on the toolbar which would take you to Task Detail for the selected task. How does that sound?

As for the order status I'll have to have a think about the best way to handle this. It seems to be a job level report (select a job, see the order status for that job) and therefore may be better placed as a Jobs Mode report. Note however you can already achieve this in Jobs Mode - the orders and their status are visible in the Orders Tab on the main Jobs Mode window,

2. 2 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 28 Jul, 2014 03:14 PM

I think the 2 click option would work great.

As for the order status, you're right, it's actually far simpler to just open the job from Jobs mode and view the status from the Orders tab. My concern is, if I have a really large job with many subjects, I don't want to scroll through the list searching for orders that are still open and overlook one. I just want to remove any possibility for error. And I'm having a hard time figuring out how to sort by status in Jobs Detail. I actually can't sort by anything really. However, I can sort in the Order Status layout which is why I was using that view.

The job status report might not be a bad idea. As long as it can be sorted or limited to either open or closed. I do like the idea of keeping all the status stuff contained to the Order tracker though. Intuitively it kind of makes sense to stay in one mode, but at the same time, opening a job and getting a report makes sense too. If you implement anything, I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dino Apolito on 28 Jul, 2014 11:21 PM

Have a look at the attached. It doesn't need a schema update so you can just replace what you have.

Changes..

1. Subjects Mode > Orders tab.
      Each order lists all packages

2. Task lists now have button on toolbar to show detail of currently selected task

3. Jobs Mode > Reports now has Order Status reports.

Note once you have an Order Status report you can use the Find button on the toolbar to search according to any criteria.

4. 4 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 29 Jul, 2014 06:16 PM

These are great additions, thanks Dino!

The only problem I'm having is with the Order Status - Open report. The other 2 reports process instantly, but this one took 10+ minutes to run the query. Any insight on that?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dino Apolito on 30 Jul, 2014 02:38 AM

Could you do a simple test for me.

Please run the report on a job with few orders. Then repeat with a job with lots of orders. Any time difference?

6. 6 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 30 Jul, 2014 10:41 AM

I ran jobs of varying sizes and the results are relatively the same. 10-12 minutes to run the report regardless of job size.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dino Apolito on 30 Jul, 2014 11:47 PM

Could you try the attached debug build. Two things will happen...

1. You will get a message entitled "Hello" at some stage during the report. Make a note how long it takes before you get that message.

2. Click OK to it and you will then get another message entitled "Finished". How long after the first message did this appear.

What I need to see is if the delay is before or after that first message. For example if the report was taking 10 seconds the first message might appear after 8s or does it appear after 2s?

8. 8 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 31 Jul, 2014 12:14 PM

I tested the attached build a few times but I never got a message for Hello or Finished.

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Dino Apolito on 31 Jul, 2014 11:35 PM

That's odd. Just to make sure we're on the same page the report you're running is ..

Jobs Mode>Reports>Order status - all

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Dino Apolito on 31 Jul, 2014 11:40 PM

Sorry I now realise you were referring the Order status - open report. Try this one instead

11. 11 Posted by Brandon - Distr... on 01 Aug, 2014 01:26 PM

It took 11 minutes for the first hello message to show up. When I hit ok, the finished message immediately popped up.

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Dino Apolito on 04 Aug, 2014 11:21 PM

This might be easier if I can connect to your computer and run some queries to see where the hold up is.

Please run TV (version 7 ) and send me the details via email

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Dino Apolito on 13 Aug, 2014 04:33 AM

All good now. I have left the new tsPortal open on your desktop. Much faster.

14. Dino Apolito closed this discussion on 13 Aug, 2014 04:33 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac