Layer map for template designer

Bill champion

26 Apr, 2012 03:36 PM

This was posted last summer but I would like to resubmit. Template builder needs a layer map so you can positively select a layer or layers. Some of our templates may have 10 to 20 layers and trying to navigate them is too difficult and time consuming. Additional but probably more difficult is the need for zooming in template builder for more accurate placement of elements of templates.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tommi Jonasson on 26 Apr, 2012 03:46 PM

+1

While on the topic of template designer, I would add that copy/paste functionality for text boxes would also be of importance.

2. 2 Posted by Jacob - Sumner ... on 26 Apr, 2012 10:36 PM

+1 to all of the above Additionally, There is significant program hang/lag when saving graphically heavy templates (usually anything with a background).

3. 3 Posted by Nick Brown on 08 May, 2012 12:57 PM

+1 All of these ideas would make for so much time saved as well as less frustration when navigating through layers of masks, graphics, text, and items.

Hope the template designer becomes much more robust soon, it hasn't seemed to change much throughout all the releases of Timestone.

4. 4 Posted by brad on 11 Jul, 2012 07:05 PM

+1 DITTO......

5. 5 Posted by Bill champion on 01 Jul, 2013 08:21 PM

I am now making templates called multi products that can generate multiple looks and products from just one template, data is used like a light switch to activate or turn off different parts of my template enabling graphical as well as text location and font variations. My most simple multi product template is upwards of sixty layers. The need for a layer map in now much more important. Wanted to get back to the top of the list :)

6. 6 Posted by Nick Brown on 31 Jul, 2013 06:09 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GET THIS GOING SOON. I can't believe this was brought up over a year ago and no feedback about its possible creation and implementation has been given. Every year since I've been with my company, our templates have become more complex and demanding yet the template designer itself has not evolved to keep pace. I rarely see any improvements, new tools, or new effects with the new updates. Better manipulation and handing of text would also be a big plus...

This needs to happen soon! We are all on your side, Bill.
    Thanks.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dino Apolito on 01 Aug, 2013 02:09 AM

Agreed no feedback on this thread but there has been elsewhere and there was discussion on this at the recent user meeting in Las Vegas and directly with the people who have brought it up with us.

The template designer was never designed with numerous,multiple layers in mind. While we understand people wanting this for creative purposes (as Bill does for Virtual Groups for example) there is nothing in the Designer's architecture that will allow us to now do this without a LOT of work.

So where do we put this in the list of priorities? At the moment we have about 30 items on the immediate to-do-list that will benefit lots of people. Many of these items have been requested by many people and they would be very disappointed if we now dropped them and put a template layer map at the top of the list which is something that really only benefits a few people, interests many more ( "it would be nice but isn't critical to us") but still for the most part is of no use at all to most people.

None of this is to say we don't want to do it, can't do it or won't do it but I just wanted everyone to know the dilemma we find ourselves in. Believe me if we could snap our fingers and do this we most certainly would!

Thanks for listening

Dino

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac